Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's Your Favorite Metallic?

You've all probably noticed that I really enjoy working with stringer scroll designs. Doesn't matter if they're raised, or melted, I love them. I guess I just really like seeing a beautiful design come from a bunch of lines working together.

You've probably also noticed that I use a lot of metallic glass for my scrollwork designs. It really makes scrolls pop! I've been working with a lot of different types of metallics to see which ones I like best. Here's my first few experiments with it


The left bead has scrolls of Taxco by TAG. I really like this glass, but it is a little bit temperamental sometimes. It has a tendency to bubble if I give it a lot of heat. It really does reduce to a nice oilslick luster.

The middle bead is made from Nyx by Double Helix. It looks nice, but a little too subtle of a metallic for me. I think I look for a more mirror finish in my metallics. I do really like how the scrolls have a noticeable outline around them. It's a little hard to tell in this photo.

I think the last lentil wins for me. It's made with Double Helix's Triton glass. It has a very bright chrome mirror finish which is very nice. The only downside to this, is that the silver fumes the base glass a little bit.

There are so many silver glasses to play with that I won't be testing them all. It's just too pricey. What silver glasses do you like best?

1 comment:

  1. I rarely use silvered glass, but boy is it pretty. Great comparisons.

    ReplyDelete