Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Play Time!

In November I bought quite a bit of tools and tutorials, but I was so swamped with custom orders that everything just collected dust for a few weeks. I'm really not complaining about the custom orders or anything, but I'm finally getting a chance to "play" more than "work." As I say that, I have two gladware containers of beads to photograph and list. Eeeek! Let's just ignore those for now and play :)

I went to a free demonstration by Trey Cornette, and it was awesome! I always love watching others work, but it's really neat to be able to watch someone who specializes in stringerwork. Did you know that I like stringerwork?

While it was neat to see the stringer being applied, I really feel like I got the most out of the way he shapes his beads. Bicones are one of those shapes that I've always struggled with. I've gotten better over the years, but when I haven't made them in a while, I feel like a newbie.

This video is pretty helpful too

So after seeing him make a long bicone bead with this benchtop marver, I had to buy one :) I still struggle a little bit, but the brass marver is very helpful. It's huge too! Comparing the size of the benchtop to my handheld graphite marver is kinda funny almost.




Here's a little bit of eyecandy of beads that I shaped with this marver.




No comments:

Post a Comment