Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Forget to Create

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in all the other parts of selling your art.

As much as I wish it were otherwise, we can't just create and it'll sell. Pieces need to be assembled, photographed, edited and descriptions need to be written. Everything needs to be promoted in various forums and social networks. Pieces need to be listed in different venues. Just typing this gets me a little overwhelmed.

Then of course you need to live your life. Go to work, make dinner, exercise, bills, clean house (or not), SLEEP. Pretty soon you realize that there's no more time to create.

This past week, I made it my goal to spend 10 hours of the week at the torch creating. It's harder than it sounds. There were several times where I didn't even feel like it. I just wanted to be a blob in front of the tv because I worked so hard doing everything else. Each time I'd force myself to go outside and hook up the propane and head downstairs to the torch. After the first bead was made, I remembered how much I love to create. TV was forgotten and I'd be downstairs creating for several hours.

So if you find yourself feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that goes into selling your art, sometimes it helps to get back to basics. Remember why you do it in the first place and set aside some time to do what you love.

1 comment:

  1. You sure hit the nail on the head with this! Excellent. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete